Right up front let me explain I’ve gleaned this list from reading a lot of blogs aimed at writers; new writers and self published writers in particular.
- You understand and care about the writing craft. I think you care about a good story, not an analysis of how that story fits into the Hero’s Journey or the 3 act structure.
- You care about point of view slips. I think you care about understanding which character you see the story through and if that means multiple people you just don’t want to be confused.
- Typos freak you out and make you throw a book/ ereader across the room in a fit of disdain. I think the fast readers don’t even notice most typos and all readers understand that no matter how hard you look, typos exist in all books.
- That you care about who published the book. I’m not sure anyone searches for or recommends books by the publisher name.
- You think that cheap prices on ebooks are a sign of the quality. See #6
- That ebooks should be cheap. I think you like to pay less for ebooks.
- You are reading reviews and recommendations on line. I think that might be true.
- You are fascinated by our process. I think you don’t care how we write a book, just that we write good ones and don’t take too long between.
- You think like a publisher or editor. I think you buy books to enjoy, not because you are trying to assess the marketability of a product.
- You hate being told about deals or book launches. I think you hate being spammed, but would expect your favorite authors to give you a heads up.
So, what do you think? Is any of this true? Is there something not on the list something we writers do that makes you crazy. Or don’t do?